Saturday, September 3, 2011

Do the Hula - SUO Challenge #26 - Invitation to a party.


An interesting challenge which finally got me a little motivated this week to start thinking about the invitations I will need to make for my DH's 40th birthday at the end of the year. As we moved to the more sunny Newcastle this year I've been thinking something a little tropical as the weather will be fantastic - I hope.

The motivation behind the challenge this week at SUO was to make an Invitation to a party, as it's their first birthday.

My lovely neighbour used to have this stamp set - Do the hula - which I know is retired, and I always loved the cards she made, so I figured I'd give it a go. I'm really happy that the new 2011-2012 Idea Book & Catalogue have seen the release of 5 new In Colours as they are so well suited to a beach theme.

I've used Crumb Cake as the card base, adding Pool Party as the strips and then stamped the Hawaiian shirts in Island Indigo and Lucky Limeade. The other shirt is in Pumpkin Pie, which is a part of the Brights Collection. I decided the strips needed a little more on them so I paper pierced the edges.



The sentiment is from the Party This Way set (IB&C p 9) and stamped in Pool Party.  I did stamp the leaves from the Do the Hula set using Versa Ink which are a little hard to see in the original photo.

I'm please with how quickly I could get this card together which is also a factor in making them as invitations - as I've a few to make!

Enjoy - Julie

Stamp Set/s: Do the Hula, Party This Way
Inks: Island Indigo, Pumpkin Pie, Lucky Limeade
Cardstock and Paper: Whisper White, Crumb Cake, Pool Party
Tools & Embellishments:  Paper cutter, bone folder, snail adhesive, dimensionals, paper snips, clear block D, .border punch, paper piercing kit.

5 comments:

  1. This is a fabulous invitation Julie. Very tropical too. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this set (I love all things Hawaiian as that's where I live) and I'm so glad you got to use it for an invitation - perfect set for that! Thanks for joining in the SUO Challenge this time around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is just sooo fun and the PERFECT invite for a party! Thanks for joining us in the SUO challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the layout with the shirts! Such a great invitation! So glad you joined us this week at SUO Challenges!

    Jen Timko

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, this invitation just sets the perfect mood for a tropical party! Love the shirts, and you are right, the new In Colors were perfect for this. (BTW, that's a lot of lovely piercing. Makes my hand hurt just looking at it!) Thanks for joining is on the SUO26 challenge!

    ReplyDelete