Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Just Add Ink #97 - Friends Never Fade Diary thank you gifts


Still on the quest to complete Noah's main teachers Christmas gifts I decided to make them each a covered diary. I didn't want to make large ones as I know that one of the teachers keeps hers in her handbag. Searching through a couple of stores I managed to get some small two year diaries that had the plastic sleeve cover that is removable.
Wanting to use some of the recent In Colour designer papers I made the covers in keeping with this weeks inspirational photo challenge over at Just Add Ink.  It is a very bright and happy photo which combines the colours Melon Mambo, Lucky Limeade, Poppy Parade and Pool Party.  Here's the photo inspiration.
The covers can be made however you like them and it's a fantastic item to do as they are quite quick - once you decide on your design, and allow you to create a unique gift each time.  Perfect for children to help out with.

I've used the Friends Never Fade (IB&C p75) clear stamp set which I only just bought as it is a part of the December Frenzy making it 50% less than normal. It's a great set as the flower components can be used for any occasion.
I started with a half sheet of each of the Pool Party and Lucky Limeade designer series papers which I cut to size and attached using the snail adhesive.  The flowers I stamped in Pool Party, Melon Mambo and Poppy Parade, stamping additional ones so that I could cut out the centres and stick them over the tops to create a more 3D look.  I was going to use Dimensionals but when I tried one a popped it back into the plastic sleeve they were just a little bulky so I just used the snail.


The Pool Party covered diary has the same flower stamped in random places all over the paper in the Pool Party ink for a little more interest.  The to complete it I stamped the 'Friends are flower that never fade' sentiment and cut it out before mounting it on a rectangle of the Lucky Limeade dsp.  As I hadn't used much of the Poppy Parade colour I added a piece of the stitched ribbon, then the flower in the same colour. The leaf is from the Array of Sunshine hostess set (IB&C p8) stamped in Lucky Limeade ink.  I did add a couple of rhinestones to the centre of one of the flowers which makes it a little bulky but it still works.

The Lucky Limeade covered diary took a little longer as I had to cut more centres out of the flowers and add a few little scrap pieces of dsp to add a little more eye interest. I feel as though this one needs something else on it but can't quite work out what yet.  Perhaps some chipboard initals or the year?

These little diaries took no time at all to make and I'm really happy with how they ended up.  Don't forget about the December Frenzy sale which ends soon. The Friends Never Fade set is an amazing 50% off! Be quick though as it ends soon.

Enjoy - Julie

Stamp Set/s: Friends Never Fade, Array of Sunshine
Inks: Melon Mambo, Pool Party, Poppy Parade, Lucky Limeade
Cardstock and Paper: Pool Party and Lucky Limeade designer paper series
Tools & Embellishments: Paper cutter, snail adhesive, paper snips, clear stamping block, ribbon, rhinestones.


2 comments:

  1. You've used these bright colours so beautifully on the flowers Julie. So glad you could play with us at JAI this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always nice to personalise a little gift like this and you have used the colours well on your diary covers. Thanks for playing at Just Add Ink this week.

    ReplyDelete