Friday, January 27, 2012

Sail Away birthday card for Grandpa.


It was my Dad and Noah, and brand new day old, Oliver's Grandpa's birthday this January. As I knew I'd be in hospital I made this card in December.

This is a retired ala carte stamp, but I would recommend the Open Sea set which is in the current Summer Mini Catalogue (p.18) as a perfect substitution.

The base of the card is Very Vanilla as I did start off with Whisper White but found it to be too stark. I used my Big Shot machine and the square lattice embossing folder to add some texture. The three strips of cardstock from top to bottom are Bashful Blue, Baja Breeze and Pacific Point. They are simply attached using the snail adhesive and overlapped a little when I added them.

I stamped the image on Very Vanilla cardstock in Basic Black ink as it is waterproof so watercolouring isn't a problem as nothing bleeds or runs. Using Cajun Craze, Early Espresso and Bashful Blue inks and the aqua painter I water coloured the boat and the waves. The easiest way I have found to watercolour is to apply some pressure to the ink pads while they are still closed which enables some ink to be on the lid part when opened. This is normally enough to watercolour quite a large area. Using the aqua painter you then just pick up some of the ink on the lid and colour the area. The blender pen can also be used the same way for watercolouring. Make sure you allow suitable time for your image to dry as it can easily be smudged!

To accent the Cajun Craze watercolouring I mounted the stamped image onto a piece of the same colour cardstock and using the papers piercing kit I made a border.

The happy birthday sentiment is from the Teeny Tiny Senitments stamp set - one set I use on a nearly daily basis. It's also stamped in the Cajun Craze. I used the word window punch and the large oval punch to highlight the sentiment, attaching it with dimensionals.


Enjoy - Julie

Stamp Sets: Sail Away, Teeny Tiny Sentiments
Inks: Basic Black, Cajun Craze, Early Espresso, Bashful Blue
Cardstock and Paper: Very Vanilla, Cajun Craze, Baja Breeze, Bashful Blue
Tools & Embellishments: Paper cutter, snail adhesive, paper snips, clear stamping block, Paper piercing tools, word window punch, large oval punch, dimensionals.

No comments:

Post a Comment