Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Easter Mini Milk Cartons for School

Noah started Kindy this year and I can not believe that it was 10 weeks ago. Tomorrow sees us begin the first of three weeks of holidays. Easter is wrapped into the holidays in NSW this year so he really wanted to give something special to his teachers to say not only Happy Easter but thank you for teaching me this term.

These cuties also fit perfectly into the Just Add Ink - just add Easter Challenge #111.

Normally I'd grab a few eggs and wrap them in some cellophane but as I've got those extra hours at home when Oliver's sleeping during the day I decided to experiment with my lastest SU die - the Mini Milk Carton.  It truly is as cute as I thought it was going to be!


In no time at all using the die and my Big Shot machine I had 10 little milk cartons in Pumpkin Pie, Old Olive and Daffodil Delight cut out. Assembling them was another story - this took a while longer than I had thought it might mostly due to not going with my gut feeling that using the Sticky Strip tape would be best and using the snail instead. DON'T do it - go straight with the Sticky Strip as in the end I had to go back and re do some of them as the snail just isn't strong enough to hold them.

For the decoration I added strips of the designer papers from the Brights Stack - Pacific Point, Melon Mambo, Old Olive and Pumpkin Pie. I cut them to 15.5cm strips, wrapped them around and stuck them on before forming the cartons as I found this easier than after. The edging strips are just off cuts of 5cm again stuck on with Sticky Strip.


 As I wanted something to go on the tops to close off the taped side of the carton and couldn't get my order through SU before I needed them I used some office clips which work just as well.  Baby bull clips would be super too as you can decorate them with paper and ribbon.

The bunnies were a bit of an after thought as I needed to make them look like Easter gifts. They're made using two circle punches and the large flower punch is used for the ears.  The buttons are randoms that I had lying around. They're obviously the backs of the bunnies!


The Happy Easter sentiment is a part of the Teent Tiny Sentiment set, which for those of you who follow my blog know I use a lot. It's stamped in Pumpkin Pie, punched using the word window and then mounted onto the label punch.  I used a glue dot to attach it.

I can see that I'm going to get so much use out of this particular die - lolly bags in particular for parties for my boys.  I'm now wondering how I can used them and will I have enough time to make 60 of them to give out to all the children who'll be attending Oliver's Christening... I'll let you know what happens with that.

Enjoy - Julie

4 comments:

  1. Very cute, especially how you have show the tail of the bunny rather than the bunny's front that you usually see. Thanks for joining in with our challenge at Just Add Ink this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Julie. I'm sure the teachers will appreciate your thoughtfulness. Love those cute bunny bums. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the bright colours you have used!! Normally when I think of Easter I use pastels - but I think these 'brights' work perfectly.

    Trish
    JAI Design Team

    ReplyDelete