Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Sympathy thoughts using Word Play and Pearls


I hate having to make cards that are in between sympathy and thinking of you.  One of my dear friends lost her little angel baby in utero last week and although she is handling it so well I wanted her to know that I am thinking about her. It's one of those times when just acknowledging what's happened is important, or I know it was when we lost Addison. I know that it can be tricky for people to know what to say but saying something rather than nothing I can assure you is better. There is nothing worse than not having your little person acknowledged.

Anyhow I wanted a card that was bright and cheery and it didn't seem right to use a sympathy sentiment. Looking through my many sets I came across this wording from the word play (IB&C p 104) set which I must admit hasn't seen much of the light of day.  It perfectly sums up what I'm thinking.  Heading over to see what was happening at one of my favourite challenge sites Just Add Ink I also discovered that this week it's all about pearls - PERFECT!  There are some amazing cards over there and they've also started scrap challenges so if you haven't yet checked them out use the link and head over.

Putting the card together was easy and I can't take credit for all of the design. The amazing Mary Fish did a similar card which I have changed a little to make it my own. The card stock is all from the brights range and is called Regal Rose. The card base made as normal and then I ran a smaller sheet of the same card stock through the Big Shot using the Vintage Wallpaper embossing die. This piece I attached a piece of crochet lace to before attaching it to the card base with the snail adhesive. 

The sentiment is stamped in the Regal Rose and on Very Vanilla card stock as I am finding the Whisper White a little to stark and bright at the moment. To add a little more effect the sentiment in attached to the little rectangle of cardstock with dimensionals and then added again with dimensionals. It just makes it a little more prominent I think.

To make sure I covered the pearls challenge for JAI I added tiny little pearls to the flowers on the embossed image and then three more on the sentiment. I love the colour of these pearls.  The flowers were an after thought but I think they make the card.

Enjoy - Julie




3 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous thinking of you card! Your sentiment is just so perfect! Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really beautiful card, Julie, and I'm sure your friend will love and appreciate it. The colour is gorgeous, and I agree with you about the flowers; they are the perfect finishing touch. Lovely use of pearls, too. So glad you could join us at Just Add Ink this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card Julie and thanks so much for playing along with us at JAI and mentioning our scrap challenges too!

    ReplyDelete